Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thursday June 2nd

Just when we think things are getting better, something else happens. I received a phone call at 3:30 am this morning from his night nurse. She informed me that they had to re-intubate him. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Of course, we all want him to open his eyes and start talking to us. However, it's going to take longer than we all anticipated. While sitting next to him, I try figure out what's wrong with him. I don't know what his mind is able to process. They tell me that where the aneurysm happened not only controls his right side but also controls his speech and throat. So if he secretes, is the mind telling him to swallow and/or cough when he has to? This is an area not even the doctors know the answers. His throat may be too swollen to swallow. So instead of having him work any harder, they decided to re-intubate him. The good news is that he is resting more comfortably than yesterday, his vitals are excellent, his lungs are 100% clear and the pressure from his cranial tube has been capped off since yesterday which means they may remove this very soon.
It's extremely hard for us to see him this way and we pray that he just keeps fighting. We're also waiting for the results from this morning's CTA scan and praying there are no surprises.

3 comments:

  1. David - thanks so much for this blog! I work at the UA Foundation and am, along with everyone else here, missing his presence here! We are all wishing him a rapid and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, thank you for this blog. I have been frantic to know more on how Joel is doing. I had breakfast with your father on the morning of May 18th at El Sahuarito. He seemed fine and we discussed our next projects. On Thursday my wife and I left to drive to Missouri. I received an email when we were arriving in Albuquerque.

    He is such a big part of my life, so I need him back. I'm glad that in general he is doing well. There will of course be some days that are better than others, but he is both strong, and ornery, two qualities that are useful in such situations.

    Please tell your Mom and Karen that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    Dick Eribes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard from Emily Nottingham about Joel's health problems. I am so sorry. I know it is hard on his friends and family to see him like this. But Joel is a fighter and I am confident he can get beyond this. Please send him and his family my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Corky Poster

    ReplyDelete