Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday June 17th

4 weeks in the hospital.
I'm happy to report dad said his first recognizable words last night to me. It was faint but I could hear him. He said, "I want water". Although he still can not drink water yet, I let him suck on a disposable oral swab. I feel so bad because he was really trying to speak out but I couldn't make out anything he was mumbling. I sensed frustration on his part and told him not to worry. It's normal to the think the words yet not able to say them. I stuck to simple yes and no nods to communicate with him. This morning, we've been practicing to say "Hello" for when mom comes in.  He's able to say it pretty well. I told him he sounded like C3PO from star wars and he smiled. I really have to turn his sleep cycle around. He was wide awake last night from 10:15 until 1:00 am. He must stay awake during the day. I finally had to tell him that I needed to get some sleep. So I turned off the light and climbed into my most comfortable cot. My back is killing me. LOL! Lisa spent the night on Wed. She really didn't sleep at all because dad's left hand want to pull his foley and tubes out. This is also normal for patients waking up from being under for so long.
Well, we shall see what today brings. Thank you for your prayers and have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Hi David, I remember one of the times Bill was in the hospital and unable to speak when he was intubated a very kind nurse named Merry gave him a yellow pad and pencil and taught him to make his letter strokes very large and exaggerated in order to communicate. It helped him to feel less frustrated and less isolated. Just an FYI. Love and prayers, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David, Please add my wife Midge, and myself to the many who send prayers and love to your Dad, and also to your Mom. Joel has long been a mentor to me. As physician, I wish I could give him back a fraction of what he has given me through my life and career. Sounds like he is in excellent hands. In my voice message, I left you my number, and hope you will free to call at any time, if I can be of any assistance at all, even if it is just in helping you sort through peripheral medical issues. Please give your Mom a hug from us, David Ruiz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, It's Sunday June 19th, Father's Day. Wishing Joel, David, Randy and the Valdez brothers a Happy Father's Day. Enjoy it to it's fullest.
    Love, Sam & Family

    ReplyDelete