Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday June 12th

I see great improvement with each day that goes by. He's becoming more alert with his surroundings. He opened his eyes this morning when I arrived and squeezed my hand. Although he did this for me, he didn't open his eyes for mom.
After he opened his eyes for me, he went right back to sleep. We're talking about 15 to 20 seconds at a time. I can tell when he falls back to sleep because his heart rate goes down to about 65 beats per minute and his respiratory falls below 20 breaths per minute. Before I leave the hospital, I go to whisper in his ear that I love him and kiss him on his forehead. I'm holding his hand while doing this and he squeezes my hand as though he understands me. At least I'm hoping he can hear me and is reacting to what I'm saying. The nurses this morning said they're going to try to sit him in a special chair. This will get him out of bed and into a position he hasn't felt in more than 3 weeks. The only problem is that they couldn't find the chair. I should have more news tomorrow on the missing chair and how well dad did sitting in it if they ever find it. He's still in ICU which is totally fine with us.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the power of rest can be so healing. Joel knows best, even now. The touch of Mary Lee's hand and voice of his beloved family all aid in the healing process. Thank you for the continuing updates. They are cherished and welcomed. Love and prayers are with Joel and the family. Love, Sam & Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, Mary Lee & Lisa - Sorry we missed his special Mass, but were there in spirit, heart & prayers. Please tell Joel we love him & love hearing of his progress. A special hug to your Mom too! Tom & Jane

    ReplyDelete