Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

The Valdez family had a very happy holiday season! It was extremely special because we had dad to share it with. We tried, to the best of his ability, to keep the traditions going throughout the Christmas and New Year's festivities. Our family, on mom's side, always comes to their home to celebrate Christmas Eve. Dad wanted to keep the tradition alive so everyone came over like usual. He stayed up from 3:00 until 10:30 pm which surprised all of us. He had never stayed up so many hours without a cat nap. I put ear plugs in his ears which I think helped him drown out the noise and help him concentrate a little better. We just don't realize how loud it can get when we're all having a good time.
Before our party, one of dad's Christmas Eve's rituals is to visit with Julius and Dorothy Parker with his grand kids. Well this time was no exception. We loaded him up and drove him to visit. They were so happy to see him because they didn't think he'd show up. He talked a little, laughed, smiled for pictures; he even had a small glass of red wine. It was a great holiday season and we're all thankful to GOD for having him here!
On a better note, he's making great progress. His outpatient therapy sessions at St. Mary's have really been helping out a lot. His left eye is fully open and his pupil is still slowly moving back to it's original position. He still has to eat with his eye patch on or else he grabs for things that are not there (double vision). 
Lisa and I took him to visit the bookstore at the U of A last week after a doctor's appointment. We wanted to see how he'd react to a trip in his wheelchair. It was funny when we took him up to see Frank and Debbie. We asked the receptionist to call either one and when they were told who was there to visit, they didn't believe it was him. They were so happy and surprised to see him in the bookstore. Dad took it very well so I think we're going to start taking more trips to the U and other places as well. He can handle it!!!
I would like to share a very funny moment before I end this blog. I built an exercise table for him and placed it in the back room which has a beamed ceiling. Well Lisa decided to use the table last week and got dad on his back to begin his exercises. Well she notice that he was studying the ceiling very closely so she asked him, what are you looking at. He told her, "you know... I have a ceiling just like this in my house!"  She reminded him that it was his house and he started laughing with her.
Who knows, you just might see him soon in the hallway, on the grounds, at the store, at a game, where ever it is, don't be shy, come and give him a big hug and kiss to show how much you've missed him.
Thanks for all of your continued thoughts and prayers!!!

5 comments:

  1. David
    I'm glad you all had such good holidays. Thanks for the call the other day. I was out of town for the holidays and very disappointed to miss Joel on his trip to campus. I read your blogs with great interest and am always happy to see the progress Joel is making. I look forward to seeing him come through my door at work some day to say hello. Thanks for keeping us all posted.
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, what a wonderful Blog....Dick and I had just been talking that we hadn't seen anything thing for awhile. So glad to hear the wonderful progress your Dad is making. We know he is strong and will continue to make amazing progress. We are looking forward to coming and visiting again soon. Please give him and your Mom our love and Happy New Year to all of you. Love, Dick and JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, Carol and I enjoyed visting with Joel on Christmas Day as we look forward in seeing Joel and your mom at our football tail gate parties in the future. I trust that your mom and everyone else enjoyed the special batch of margaritas. Our prayers and thoughts, Jesse & Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, you do such a wonderful job keeping us updated on your Dad's progress. I look forward to reading how El Jefe is doing and am so happy that he, your mom and everyone in the family had a wonderful Christmas holiday together! Please tell him that we are praying for him and we will call soon to come and visit. And when he's on campus, don't forget to stop by the 7th Floor! Happy New Year!

    Sheri Hill (and for Jeanne and Sondra Farrington)

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, My name is George Flores and I worked all my career in the City of Phoenix while Joel was at the City of Tucson and the UofA. Vivian and I have known your Dad and Mom since the early 1970's and we have always enjoyed seeing and visitng with them at the state and national City Management Conferences. They are both much loved and respected by their friends in the City Management profession. Thank you so very much for keeping us posted on Joel's voyage of recovery! Your family's love of your Mom and Dad is very evident and I can feel it as I read your blog. I have shared your blog site with professional friends who know Joel and ask me how he is doing so I know it is being read nationally by many of Joel's friends. Say hello to your Dad and Mom for us and continue to keep us posted. You and your family are doing a great job!

    George and Vivian Flores

    ReplyDelete